Skip to main content

Featured

eBook – The Empire Striketh Back

eBook –  The Empire Striketh Back Full title :  William Shakespeare's The Empire Striketh Back By : Ian Doescher  Iillustrations :  Nicolas Delort Score : 9/10 Year : 2014 Publisher : Quirk Books  eISBN :  978-1-59474-716-8 Based on  978-1-59474-715-1 (hard cover) Pages : 176 *  Language : English From Goodreads : Hot on the heels of the New York Times best seller William Shakespeare’s Star Wars comes the next two installments of the original trilogy: William Shakespeare’s The Empire Striketh Back  (and not reviewed as yet,  William Shakespeare’s The Jedi Doth Return.) Return to the star-crossed galaxy far, far away as the brooding young hero, a power-mad emperor, and their jesting droids match wits, struggle for power, and soliloquize in elegant and impeccable iambic pentameter. Illustrated with beautiful black-and-white Elizabethan-style artwork, these two plays offer essential reading for all ages. Something Wookiee this way comes!  *** As he explains at the end, Ian Doescher

Film - la Belle et la bête (Gans)



Movie -la Belle et la bête (Gans)
(Beauty and the beast)
Note : 6/10
Year: 2014
Director: Christophe Gans
country: France. Germany
Langue : French. 
Duration: 1h52

Starts gently with a mother reading a story to her children ...the movie slowly develops gradually. We soon transition from the narration into the movie.

Special effects: it could be worthy of Hollywood, or not at all ... at first I was rather under the charm, but afterwards, I realized that other critics spoke well: given that they were made in 2014, they are more visible than in other older films, so to be fair, I liked, without being wowed. 



I have not seen enough French films (which are not, basically, my cup of tea), to know whether others are also huge on the effects or if this film is exceptional in this regard - note that it is a multi-national production (France, Germany and according to what we saw at end of the credits, Canada also)

Substantial resources were deployed to render the visual experience an enormous one, with moments worthy of Greek mythology and winks to adventure films of the 1960-70's such as the Sinbad ...

Music: captivating, it must be said, except the end credits, which I didn't like at all ...

Without wanting to give too much '' spoilers '' those details that spoil the surprise, I must note, as far as a vegan a few scenes, hereafter... 





  • 1 quick scene with ham behind a counter ... we see it only for 2-3 seconds, and then the camera focuses on the characters in the scene.
  • some disgusting omni food scenes (after ... 20 or 30 minutes? I can not say) and several other times, the camera returns to the same table, but less yucky.
  • some hard scenes for me, but which hold one of the messages of the film about hunting ... I have the impression that the majority if not all of the animals here are generated by computer, but I can not be sure ... except for a scene that is clearly generated by computer, that my wife could tell me (since I had begun to look at the ground in the dark to avoid seeing). 
  • There are about 3 or 4 hunting scenes (my memory isn't fresh) one of which ends with the implication that a character eats his prey but apparently this is not shown, but the sound effects make it clear that the prey is being eaten in the dark ... the sounds were already difficult for me.
  • a bed that seemed to have a fur blanket, but real or false? no idea...
  • Very little blood is shown throughout the film ... I think only 2 shorts passages
  • very few scenes with animals: people on horses several times, otherwise we see in the background a few geese, and also dogs (beagle I think)


Beautiful costumes, beautiful special effects, to see on the big screen ...



The movie can be interpreted on several levels to the message or messages ... some levels are frightening, others a little less .... I do not want to spoil it for you...

Attention, personally I would say at least parental guidance is necessary if you go with children ... above ages 10 or even 12... there are elements that are frightening, and these hunting scenes must be explained and understood as it should be that hunting is bad ... not a message I would have thought to see in a french film at the base ...

My global note is 6/10

Comments