Skip to main content

Featured

eBook – The Empire Striketh Back

eBook –  The Empire Striketh Back Full title :  William Shakespeare's The Empire Striketh Back By : Ian Doescher  Iillustrations :  Nicolas Delort Score : 9/10 Year : 2014 Publisher : Quirk Books  eISBN :  978-1-59474-716-8 Based on  978-1-59474-715-1 (hard cover) Pages : 176 *  Language : English From Goodreads : Hot on the heels of the New York Times best seller William Shakespeare’s Star Wars comes the next two installments of the original trilogy: William Shakespeare’s The Empire Striketh Back  (and not reviewed as yet,  William Shakespeare’s The Jedi Doth Return.) Return to the star-crossed galaxy far, far away as the brooding young hero, a power-mad emperor, and their jesting droids match wits, struggle for power, and soliloquize in elegant and impeccable iambic pentameter. Illustrated with beautiful black-and-white Elizabethan-style artwork, these two plays offer essential reading for all ages. Something Wookiee this way comes!  *** As he explains at the end, Ian Doescher

TV Show - Numbers


TV Show - Numbers
Score 7/10
Multiple directors. 
Country : USA
Language : English
Duration : 118 episodes (X 43 minutes each)  speard over 6 seasons



Numbers is a very different mystery show, revolving around Charlie, a mathematician, helping his brother's FBI team in their investigations, by crunching the variables as mathematical expression to find either the culprits, their homes, their next targets, and so on.

I like most of the humour (tho not all of it), and most of the characters are quite human,and they make mistakes. But, I do say there is a BUT : it's a bit difficult to believe that :

a) in many episodes, Charlie's life seems to be completely overtaken by helping the FBI and NSA in solving cases ; he's a know it all, or almost, in maths. Really ? Ok, I get it, he's a genious, but that much does seem to be too much.

 

b), sometimes Don, his brother and team leader in the FBI seems to get so stuck in some cases, that he doesn't seem to do anything to solve them, except for being a muscle man. OK, he's not a genious at maths, but the sheer number of cases he seems to be twidlling his thumbs is a bit odd, from a writing persepective.




Another gripe is the ''fbi'' screams as the team comes to arrest the baddies, or some cases where I would have opted differently than the team (and thus, I disagree with the writters)...

I like that not all cases are totally predictable,and that the pace is overall good.

I really like the uniqueness of each person in the main cast (which changes in second season), and especially the quirky Larry (Peter MacNicol)   ... 


 
and the super kickass Megan (Diane Farr)

 

As I have seen only 5 seasons thus far, I cannot yet note the show completely, so for the moment I rate it as 7 and will update once I finish watching and know how entertained I was overall. 

 
So far, quite well, appart for those remarks I have against.

Comments

  1. Oh! I remember this series was on television, I loved the original script I found. I have not followed this series because the chain would sometimes spend the bulk, not in chronological order, and sometimes I came too late to watch. it makes me want to watch! at least starting with the first season. hehe ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's annoying when tv channels don't air shows in proper order ; this a regular issue here in France (but does sometimes occur elsewhere as well). The problem is compounded when cast members change over the seasons...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment