Skip to main content

Featured

eBook – The Empire Striketh Back

eBook –  The Empire Striketh Back Full title :  William Shakespeare's The Empire Striketh Back By : Ian Doescher  Iillustrations :  Nicolas Delort Score : 9/10 Year : 2014 Publisher : Quirk Books  eISBN :  978-1-59474-716-8 Based on  978-1-59474-715-1 (hard cover) Pages : 176 *  Language : English From Goodreads : Hot on the heels of the New York Times best seller William Shakespeare’s Star Wars comes the next two installments of the original trilogy: William Shakespeare’s The Empire Striketh Back  (and not reviewed as yet,  William Shakespeare’s The Jedi Doth Return.) Return to the star-crossed galaxy far, far away as the brooding young hero, a power-mad emperor, and their jesting droids match wits, struggle for power, and soliloquize in elegant and impeccable iambic pentameter. Illustrated with beautiful black-and-white Elizabethan-style artwork, these two plays offer essential reading for all ages. Something Wookiee this way comes!  *** As he explains at the end, Ian Doescher

200th post !



Well well, I never thought I'd ever reach 100 posts, yet along 200. But, here I am! 
For this 200th post, I want to briefly talk about two movies that I watched... a good 2 hundred times, each (if not many more). 

They are both fantasy b-movies : Arabian Adventure from 1979 & Jack the giant killer from 62. They aren't the best-made movies and one can see many flaws, but to a pre-teen boy, they were entertaining and that's what was important. That, and the fact they were brought to me by the one most influential person of my childhood : my paternal grandfather, who had recorded them on VHS back when it was a rather new technology that wasn't even in all households yet... 

Each school holiday that I visited my grandparents alone, I would watch and re-watch the VHS that held both movies in a row, and didn't even know that what I was watching had been made in English, as it was dubbed. I was just a kid,  right ? 

These were my first two fantasy movie obsessions, to which others would be grafted later on - some, I'll admit are also b-movies, but others are of much higher caliber. But, the countless hours of escapism from my difficult childhood created a nostalgic and special emotional attachment to these two movies, which I bought a few years ago to rediscover them as an adult. 

Although I could see some of the flaws, it was a nice experience to finally here the original voices of the actors and actresses - which included Christopher Lee in Arabian Adventure, an actor I could never appreciate in his numerous horror movie roles because of my sensitivities to blood and gore,  but loved as Saruman in the Lord of the Rings trilogy

Part of the charm of these 2 movies is that they are part of the past and how they helped in time to hone my appreciation for better-made ones. Their entertainment value has reduced over the years, but I'll keep my fond memories. Maybe in future entries, I'll discuss each - once I watch them again and take the time to compose proper entries. 

The goal of this present was more of a celebration than offering a review. Have a good day and expect more posts to be added, (very) soon! 


Comments