Skip to main content

Featured

eBook – The Empire Striketh Back

eBook –  The Empire Striketh Back Full title :  William Shakespeare's The Empire Striketh Back By : Ian Doescher  Iillustrations :  Nicolas Delort Score : 9/10 Year : 2014 Publisher : Quirk Books  eISBN :  978-1-59474-716-8 Based on  978-1-59474-715-1 (hard cover) Pages : 176 *  Language : English From Goodreads : Hot on the heels of the New York Times best seller William Shakespeare’s Star Wars comes the next two installments of the original trilogy: William Shakespeare’s The Empire Striketh Back  (and not reviewed as yet,  William Shakespeare’s The Jedi Doth Return.) Return to the star-crossed galaxy far, far away as the brooding young hero, a power-mad emperor, and their jesting droids match wits, struggle for power, and soliloquize in elegant and impeccable iambic pentameter. Illustrated with beautiful black-and-white Elizabethan-style artwork, these two plays offer essential reading for all ages. Something Wookiee this way comes!  *** As he explains at the end, Ian Doescher

#WorldBookDay



Today's #WorldBookDay and I thought to share with you some not-so random thoughts and facts about my relationship with books.

During my difficult childhood, I wasn't really allowed to read any books. Unless they were pre-approved. The ones who didn't make it in the tiny pile of ''okay'' were forbidden by an overbearing cult leader and I had to find others ways to read. 

Usually, I would go either to libraries, or even book stores. In this latter case, I'd find a corner, sit down and read. That was before my social anxieties were as big as now. Back then, they were limited and I had actually told some customers about books I'd read and found good - they would buy them, giving the proprietors a reason not to systematically ask me to leave. At least, not immediately. 

Thus, I could read dozens and dozens of books, basically for free. Unfortunately, I don't recall most of their titles, nor stories or other contents. That was quite long ago. 

However, those experiences gave me a great love for books - they were escape routes in my childhood. 

They brought me solace and comfort in dreary, hopeless days - with their stories, fantasies and imaginary worlds. 

They also brought me knowledge and I think that beyond the escapist or entertaining quality, this is the best one books can give : understanding and knowledge of people, events, history, or myself, were great tools in building the person that I became - passionate about many subjects, especially social ones. 

I hope that people will always continue reading - and therefore writing - books. They are an integral part of our society and can help heal many of its flaws, through educating, raising awareness to any important topic such as feminism, humanism, critical thinking, history... The list is endless. 

Knowledge, education and intellectual pursuits are very much part of my life ; they partially help to define me - and these are great reasons why to read books.

I wish I could read them faster than I do, so I could finish more of them in my lifetime. I know that I cannot reach the goal of reading them all - the world is full of millions and millions of books. 

I love both fiction and nonfiction alike. They each fulfill different needs of my personality. 
Short, longer, or really long, it doesn't matter. If the content is good, than I'll read it.

Some of my favorite topics / styles have been, in alphabetical order :

  • ancient civilizations
  • archaeology
  • art 
  • essays
  • fantasy
  • feminism
  • photography
  • psychology/ self-help
  • social topics
  • science-fiction
Listing fav authors would be tedious, and I might leave that to another post. I might never really get around it. Who knows...

Have a great World Book Day ! 

Comments