Skip to main content

Featured

eBook – The Empire Striketh Back

eBook –  The Empire Striketh Back Full title :  William Shakespeare's The Empire Striketh Back By : Ian Doescher  Iillustrations :  Nicolas Delort Score : 9/10 Year : 2014 Publisher : Quirk Books  eISBN :  978-1-59474-716-8 Based on  978-1-59474-715-1 (hard cover) Pages : 176 *  Language : English From Goodreads : Hot on the heels of the New York Times best seller William Shakespeare’s Star Wars comes the next two installments of the original trilogy: William Shakespeare’s The Empire Striketh Back  (and not reviewed as yet,  William Shakespeare’s The Jedi Doth Return.) Return to the star-crossed galaxy far, far away as the brooding young hero, a power-mad emperor, and their jesting droids match wits, struggle for power, and soliloquize in elegant and impeccable iambic pentameter. Illustrated with beautiful black-and-white Elizabethan-style artwork, these two plays offer essential reading for all ages. Something Wookiee this way comes!  *** As he explains at the end, Ian Doescher

October TBR



I follow my friend Rachel's example (on her blog) and post October TBR (=To Be Read), which I should have done 5 days ago, so here goes, as if.

At the start of this month, I was reading the following books 




  
I began reading this one as far as May 2016 but had postponed finishing it as I had to read several other books and rest my eyes from the small fonts. I'm quite an avid Virginia Woolf reader, and plan to finish the third and last period presented in this chronological book, in the next few days, actually. 













I was also reading this book where 2 authors interviewed 50 novelists and authors, mostly french, during a year, discussing their respective mothers, and sometimes fathers or other family figures. I sadly didn't enjoy it as I thought I would, as explained in my review.
















Yesterday, I finished this rather short story, reviewed here. 






















To be read the rest of this month : 

Finishing V. Woolf (the first image above) 

Suggestions by my wife, 

Started today with Gaiman's Graveyard book, perfect for this season of year 




The velveteen rabbit and Charlotte's web (image to come) which highly influenced her as a child, are both very short and will help me catch up on my late goodreads challenge (currently 4 books late)




From the library,

Additionally to Last of the Valerii, I took a short story collection by Oscar Wilde (The Canterville Ghost, The model Millionaire, the Happy prince), and Lee's To kill a mockingbird, that I planed reading just before renting the movie with (AA) to watch it again and compare the adaptation. 





A friend lent me this French novel 





After all these short and presumed fast reads, I'll need to choose the next books, among which Tolkien's lost tales 2 (I reviewed the 1st here) and this normally should bring me easily into November. 





Resulting reviews thus far

Wilde's short stories
Woolf's third and second periods in shorter fiction
James' Valerii
Gaiman's Graveyard book
Velveteen
Authors discussing their mothers










Comments