Skip to main content

Featured

eBook – The Empire Striketh Back

eBook –  The Empire Striketh Back Full title :  William Shakespeare's The Empire Striketh Back By : Ian Doescher  Iillustrations :  Nicolas Delort Score : 9/10 Year : 2014 Publisher : Quirk Books  eISBN :  978-1-59474-716-8 Based on  978-1-59474-715-1 (hard cover) Pages : 176 *  Language : English From Goodreads : Hot on the heels of the New York Times best seller William Shakespeare’s Star Wars comes the next two installments of the original trilogy: William Shakespeare’s The Empire Striketh Back  (and not reviewed as yet,  William Shakespeare’s The Jedi Doth Return.) Return to the star-crossed galaxy far, far away as the brooding young hero, a power-mad emperor, and their jesting droids match wits, struggle for power, and soliloquize in elegant and impeccable iambic pentameter. Illustrated with beautiful black-and-white Elizabethan-style artwork, these two plays offer essential reading for all ages. Something Wookiee this way comes!  *** As he explains at the end, Ian Doescher

To be read and watched January 2018



Alright, in the past few months, I'd posted a few 'to be read and watched' entries a bit too often. I also kept rescheduling book reading and movie-watching, so from now on, I'll make an entry only once am done with announced materials.


This month, there are 2 books that I have to set as priority 



This one which a friend had offered and would be a great way to start the year, partially because it's short, partially because 2017's first 2 books were Harry Potter 6 & 7, and it'd be funny to start 2 years with the same stuff. 

> Review 


















Second priority (Charrière's book), another friend had lent me a couple months ago and that I had set aside. It'd be my first book in French this year, and I want to at least this Yourcenar's book, offered by her brother... 









Update : as I couldn't get into the story, I gave up on Charrière's novel.

At some point this month, I'm supposed to receive also this book and shall start reading as soon as I can after that





The biggest reading project of the year is this 7-book box-set my wife offered last week. It corresponds to the 4 novels and 56 short stories Doyle originally wrote, in this beautiful set, which will allow me to avoid having a huge volume at hand for the task ahead. 
Update : the review for this first story, a study in scarlet, in book 1. 





And any other book that I borrow from friends or library ; buy, or have bought and have been on our shelves may be read at some point. For example, Tolkien's history of Middle-Earth series have been waiting with this second book already on shelf, and the rest to be bought. 







We have been re-watching Star Trek DS9. 
Yesterday's first episode of 2018 was S5EP03, Nor the battle to the strong. and thus we have just under 3 seasons left. 



















As announced last month, we have a plan of re-watching The Dark Crystal, when we can coordinate with a friend who hasn't seen it yet to come over. 







I'd also like to watch more movies in 2018 than I did in 2017, as I often borrowed DVD from the library but hadn't got around to watch most of them in time and had to return. I'll make efforts towards correcting this, rather soon. 



Comments