Skip to main content

Featured

eBook – The Empire Striketh Back

eBook –  The Empire Striketh Back Full title :  William Shakespeare's The Empire Striketh Back By : Ian Doescher  Iillustrations :  Nicolas Delort Score : 9/10 Year : 2014 Publisher : Quirk Books  eISBN :  978-1-59474-716-8 Based on  978-1-59474-715-1 (hard cover) Pages : 176 *  Language : English From Goodreads : Hot on the heels of the New York Times best seller William Shakespeare’s Star Wars comes the next two installments of the original trilogy: William Shakespeare’s The Empire Striketh Back  (and not reviewed as yet,  William Shakespeare’s The Jedi Doth Return.) Return to the star-crossed galaxy far, far away as the brooding young hero, a power-mad emperor, and their jesting droids match wits, struggle for power, and soliloquize in elegant and impeccable iambic pentameter. Illustrated with beautiful black-and-white Elizabethan-style artwork, these two plays offer essential reading for all ages. Something Wookiee this way comes!  *** As he explains at the end, Ian Doescher

Rapide Fire Book Tag




(this image is one of my own early watercolors, augmented by text for the occasion. Image quality isn't the best here, hence the result, but I find it has a certain charm).


The Rapid Fire Book Tag was created by Kate, in a video I watched after I discovered this tag through one of my twitter-friends Nicole who did here, and as I'm not a vlogger but love books, thought to share my answers in blog-form, which makes it a less-than rapid 🤣 I do answer all as fast and not thinking as possible, to simulate this tag's original intent.



Questions :

  1. - Our World or Fictional Worlds?
  2. - E-Book or Physical Book?
  3. - Paperback or Hardback?
  4. - Online or In-Store Book Shopping?
  5. - Trilogies or Series?
  6. - Heroes or Villains?
  7. - A book you want everyone to read?
  8. - Recommend an underrated book?
  9. - The last book you finished?
  10. - The Last Book You Bought?
  11. - Weirdest Thing You've Used as a Bookmark?
  12. - Used Books: Yes or No?
  13. - Top Three Favourite Genres?
  14. - Borrow or Buy?
  15. - Characters or Plot?
  16. - Long or Short Books?
  17. - Long or Short Chapters?
  18. - Name The First Three Books You Think Of...
  19. - Books That Makes You Laugh or Cry?
  20. - Audiobooks: Yes or No?
  21. - Do You Ever Judge a Book by its Cover?
  22. - Book to Movie or Book to TV Adaptations?
  23. - A Movie or TV-Show You Preferred to its Book?
  24. - Series or Standalone's?
Answers:
  1. - I don't use weird bookmarks, only bookmarks, though I converted a Star Wars Tshirt tag into one. See end of this entry for 2 images with almost all our bookmarks...
  2. I'm more of a traditional guy about books : physical, though I read e-book/pdf format via amazon once, because I couldn't afford its physical form at the time.
  3. - I find hardback for art books are the best, but for novels, I tend to choose paperback, especially that it's easier to carry and turn the pages, and cheaper in most cases.
  4. - I do most of my shopping online, because in my French city, books are expensive, especially with the french law about prices, which means that I cannot afford. Also, I read mostly in English, which isn't easy to find here.
  5. - Trilogies or Series? Depends on the quality of writing, isn't ? a bad trilogy or a great series? I'm not scared of long books or series, so I can read any form, as long as it's good!
  6. - Heroes are only as good as the villains they have to face... if it the villain's not menacing/scary/thereat enough, the hero's heroism is pale
  7. Far too many! All around Lord of the Rings, or many of Virginia Woolf's are on top of that list
  8. I don't know underrated books to suggest
  9. The last book I finished was a non--fiction book, about phobias and it was in French.
  10. - The Last Book I Bought is Tolkien's The Return of the Shadows, which is History of Lord of the Rings (1), and overall book 6 in History of Middle Earth.
  11. Used books is a most defo yes, yes, and yes again! If you saw answers 2&3, you guessed I'm not very rich, and so I buy second hand. Only books I assume or know shall become rarities if I wait ; or books which must be new ; or books that are new and cheap, any and all of these end on my shelves. Otherwise, I wait, even several years, til I can buy!
  12. Top Three Favourite Genres are Fantasy, Sci-Fi, and Essays.
  13. I borrow what I can from the libraries, but, again, our access to English books is limited, so I buy all the rest, second hand whenever possible.
  14. Characters and plot should complete one another in my opinion.
  15. I don't care if a book is long or short, it has to captivate me when it's fiction, inform in other cases, and to be good enough to read the huge majority of it.
  16. I prefer short chapters, so I can take breaks.
  17. - You want me to name ONLY the first three Books I think Of...oh my! a room of one's own, the world of the dark crystal, and Jane Eyre, just to get out of the Tolkien theme I mentioned above...
  18. - I cry enough without reading, so I like to laugh more than to cry when I read, but hey, it happens both ways at times (Jane Eyre for instance had some cry moments)
  19. - Any world that is well written, with a preference for other worlds for escapism, and real for non-fiction, but there have been MANY exceptions.
  20. - I haven't listened to many audiobooks. I couldn't get into The time traveller's wife on first attempt, and haven't tried it again yet, but loved Christopher Lee's voice for the Children of Hurin... (back to Tolkien's realm).
  21. -I don't really jugdge a book by it's external cover, as there can be so many editions with different images... I prefer the ones that don't gross me out, but apart for that, I get something I wanna read for the story or information.
  22. - If some of the books I love were made into tv, and adapted well, I'd prefer those for more details than movies which are limited in time.
  23. - Despite some graphic stuff, I'd say I preferred The time traveller's wife in movie, as the book didn't grab me at first and it's been waiting to be read for a final verdict.
  24. Good series are best for me as they can help to flesh out and add details and make us love characters, and see evolution in stories, but I'v read many standalone that were also really great and didn't need to be expanded...

  25. The bookmarks! (some are homemade by my wife, such as the Po-tay-toes (another LOTR ref), or the ones next to the Star Wars t-shirt tag I use as a bookmark... others are from museums, and the wonderbook.com included theirs in an amazon order I'd made on their z-shop ...







Comments