Skip to main content

Featured

eBook – The Empire Striketh Back

eBook –  The Empire Striketh Back Full title :  William Shakespeare's The Empire Striketh Back By : Ian Doescher  Iillustrations :  Nicolas Delort Score : 9/10 Year : 2014 Publisher : Quirk Books  eISBN :  978-1-59474-716-8 Based on  978-1-59474-715-1 (hard cover) Pages : 176 *  Language : English From Goodreads : Hot on the heels of the New York Times best seller William Shakespeare’s Star Wars comes the next two installments of the original trilogy: William Shakespeare’s The Empire Striketh Back  (and not reviewed as yet,  William Shakespeare’s The Jedi Doth Return.) Return to the star-crossed galaxy far, far away as the brooding young hero, a power-mad emperor, and their jesting droids match wits, struggle for power, and soliloquize in elegant and impeccable iambic pentameter. Illustrated with beautiful black-and-white Elizabethan-style artwork, these two plays offer essential reading for all ages. Something Wookiee this way comes!  *** As he explains at the end, Ian Doescher

Book Genre Tag : SciFi



I posted a first tag for Fantasy, back on 24th of February... today, I shall answer the same questions, with the tag dedicated to Science-fiction, aka SciFi. 

I first saw this tag when Nicole had shared it. I'll link her booktube again,  hereand the original was on Violet and the never ending TBR's video, here






The Questions : 

~ choose a genre and answer the questions ~

1. One of your favourite stand alone books
2. One of your favourite series
3. What is a trope that you like in this genre
4. What is a trope you don’t like in this genre
5. A disappointing book in the genre
6. A book that’s on your TBR that you want to get to soon
7. An intimidating book or series
8. What is another book genre you want to read more of
9. What book genre intimidates you the most

10. Tag people!


Let's see all of these in detail : 


1. One of your favourite stand alone books
A favourite stand alone scifi book is a collection of short stories by Ray Bradbury, called The Martian Chronicles, where each story can be read alone, and when the whole is finished, one can see how he brilliantly linked them all into a cohesive collection, addressing social commentaries in the best scifi tradition. A must-read, as you'll see from my review

2. One of your favourite series
The only scifi book series I read is John Christopher's young-adult and scifi series The Tripods, comprised at first of 3 novels, and then a prequel. Here, aliens have conquered and started to enslave humans, starting at the age of 14, when they humans are 'capped'. The series follows several characters, and told from the main protagonist's voice, Will, who sets for a long adventure to find people who are still free from these aliens...

3. What is a trope that you like in this genre
The best aspect I like in scifi is social commentary, using various means to tell us of the human condition, warning against societal issues, ecology, and so forth. 

4. What is a trope you don’t like in this genreIf there is a real character whose biographical information is mostly known, and who appear in any scifi setting, especially in time travel, is a dangerous trope that is most often done wrong. It'd be best to avoid, in my opinion, as very few were ever well made. 

5. A disappointing book in the genreI've watched a lot of Star Trek, from the original 1966 show, to the spin-offs, and one of the prequels, and 13 movies thus far. I found reading the Seven Deadly Sins short story collection to be, not so much disappointing, but rather somehow difficult, perhaps due to the lack of the visual aid, nor acting, seen on the screens. I plan to try this book again, at some point.

6. A book that’s on your TBR that you want to get to soon
I loved Asimov's I, Robot, a short story collection revolving around..robots, with a unique set of rules he established, and intertwined stories, much like Bradbury did with The Martian Chronicles - both stand alone stories, and linking as a whole. I want to read the subsequent stories, in what became The Robot and Foundation series, which have been added to my TBR, with a specific goal of finding all the content with the original futuristic dates that Asimov had imagined, and not any alterations due to the real date having surpassed the fictional ones.





7. An intimidating book or series
I heard that Frank Herbert's Dune series is amazing. My wife have read the first book and loved it, and I'd intended to read it for a very long time, but, since the series continued, first by himself with 5 more books, and then another author continued and expanded to a total of 24 books + the short stories and comic books in this saga, it has been set aside, as I find that undertaking both intimidating, and announced quite costly, even in buying second hand. I hope to get to it!

8. What is another book genre you want to read more of I seldom read biographies, so I guess I should read more of this genre.


9. What book genre intimidates you the most
 I'll copy paste my last two answers from the Fantasy tag : 

  I think poetry intimidates me the most, because I understand only a small percentage of the texts, if they are clear enough, or use allegories that I learnt about. The majority, however, goes straight over my head, especially for more abstract content. 

10. I'll tag you, my readers - and I'll name some on social media. 

Comments