Skip to main content

Featured

eBook – The Empire Striketh Back

eBook –  The Empire Striketh Back Full title :  William Shakespeare's The Empire Striketh Back By : Ian Doescher  Iillustrations :  Nicolas Delort Score : 9/10 Year : 2014 Publisher : Quirk Books  eISBN :  978-1-59474-716-8 Based on  978-1-59474-715-1 (hard cover) Pages : 176 *  Language : English From Goodreads : Hot on the heels of the New York Times best seller William Shakespeare’s Star Wars comes the next two installments of the original trilogy: William Shakespeare’s The Empire Striketh Back  (and not reviewed as yet,  William Shakespeare’s The Jedi Doth Return.) Return to the star-crossed galaxy far, far away as the brooding young hero, a power-mad emperor, and their jesting droids match wits, struggle for power, and soliloquize in elegant and impeccable iambic pentameter. Illustrated with beautiful black-and-white Elizabethan-style artwork, these two plays offer essential reading for all ages. Something Wookiee this way comes!  *** As he explains at the end, Ian Doescher

Movie – Gaslight (1944)





Movie – Gaslight
Score : 10/10 (see below)
Year : 1944
Director: George Cukor
Country : USA
Language : English
Duration: 1h54
Writers: 
Patrick Hamilton (play) ; John Van Druten,Walter Reisch and John L. Balderston (screenplay)



Lire en Français 

Viewing this movie yesterday, this is my second Cotten/Bergman movie in just 10 days, with some similarities... hum...

Every time I watch Gaslight, I appreciate it even more than the previous, because, knowing the story and how it unravels to its climax, I don't have to try to follow it anymore and I start noticing fine details I hadn't seen before - in a corner of an image, or some other location, something new reveals itself to me and I go 'oh wow that was an interesting shot'. 

I haven't read the original play this is based upon, nor the british 1940 adaptation, so I cannot compare anything. Once I do, I may add comments as to the faithfullness of the screenplay.

Charles Boyer and Ingrid Bergman truly shine in their respective roles of Gregory Anton, and Paula Alquist, he marries. They move to the house her aunt bequeathed to her and settle there, in London. 

Joseph Cotten shares first billing with Boyer and Bergman, and they are supported by Dame May Whitty who plays Miss Thwaites, a funny woman Paula (Bergman) meets in the train. I like her quirky personality as she reads a mystery novel and announces the murders she counts thus far. Later, as a neighbour, her inquisitive and yet lighthearted nature continue to offer comic relief in this dramatic thriller in which a person slowly manipulates another and make he or she to doubt his or her sanity. Actually, the play and its 2 movie adaptations have contributed to the term ''galighting'' depicting this particular form of psychological abuse, and which Cukor's version, at least, portrays very eloquently. 

The pace never leaves any dull moments, and the acting is superb. Gaslight  juxtaposes unbridled avarice and sadistic psychological abuse on one side, and the elegant, fragile and self restrained wounded person beautifully. 

I immensely loved the cinematography, rich in lights and shadows, and the fact the house is co-conspirator with its opulence to the point of oppressiveness, making it a character of its own.

The costuming is beautiful, elegant and sophisticated. I cannot stop ogling Ingrid Bergman's gorgeous white, or black, dresses which totally suit her beauty and as she paces to and fro, adds to her general countenance : she's elegant, and plays her role with great talent, with her facial expressions. She's totally believable, just like Charles Boyer and Joseph Cotten in their own roles. 



  


 















Oglin' Bergman's costuming




Boyer's costume was also elegant, I find







The emotional level is Gaslight in tremendous, contrary to far too many modern thrillers. I love that in older movies, the story and emotions are more important than cheap plots ending in pointless sex. 

I love the subtle innuendos and allusions, making Gaslight a storyteller, and not a waster of screen time : everything is balanced, and what isn't necessary, isn't shown, not even in flashbacks. 

We follow a particular person's point of view, thus certain scenes are heard, instead of shown. Again, this was done very cleverly and we discover the aftermath at the same time this character does. 




Towards the end, when someone tells of the fire driving within to action, there is a very nicely added light shinning through the eyes, and the acting does the rest... Extra cool!
The lighting in general is just gorgeous, look here 







Gaslight also makes a comment regarding women in the Edwardian era, how they were considered mere pets and depended on their husbands. This is a theme in several other 1940's noir films, such as Hitchcock's Rebecca (1940), Suspicion (1941) and Shadow of a doubt (1943), as well as a few others. 

Once I blog about these 7 other movies, I shall link all posts (if I don't forget by then!).

Of note, 18 year old Angela Lansbury makes her debut appearance as the maid, Nancy, supporting the cast.


Gaslight is an absolute, must see, thriller. It's music doesn't completely stand out, but on the other hand, most 1940's scores tend to irritate me. Here, I never, not even once, was bothered by the music, and since everything else is so exceptional that I find myself bound to offer the same perfect score as I did for Casabanlca's, where the music isn't my cup of tea, and yet suited the mood and its area perfectly. 

Here, just 4 years later, I think at most the lack of personality in the music would technically reduce the score to 9.5*, but my appreciation for Gaslight, and the fact I wasn't irritated, raises it to 10 as my blog is more about my tastes, than a professional critic. 



Gaslight.... in the medias 

It can be sometimes a bit confusing to buy movies when there are other versions of them - and indeed, I'll detail only that which corresponds to this particular 1944 Cukor movie - and one day discuss the 1940 Dickinson's version. 

My dvd is the UK EAn 7321900651486 where Gaslight (1944) seems slightly shortened (or PAL sped-up) to 1h49 instead of 1h54 (this matter shall be researched). 

The image and sound transfers are excellent for a DVD, in the original 1.37:1 image ratio, black & white.

Languages : original English, dubs in French & Italian, all in 1.0 mono - though in a very clear sound, so I can only imagine what it'd be with a proper BD edition, eventually. 

Subtutkes : English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Arabic, Dutch + English & Italian SDH

Bonus : 


  • Reflections on Gaslight (including Angela lansbury), 
  • a reminiscence by Pia Lindstrom about her mother Ingrid Bergman
  • 1944 academy award cereminies newsreel 
  • and trailer


Comments