Skip to main content

Featured

eBook – The Empire Striketh Back

eBook –  The Empire Striketh Back Full title :  William Shakespeare's The Empire Striketh Back By : Ian Doescher  Iillustrations :  Nicolas Delort Score : 9/10 Year : 2014 Publisher : Quirk Books  eISBN :  978-1-59474-716-8 Based on  978-1-59474-715-1 (hard cover) Pages : 176 *  Language : English From Goodreads : Hot on the heels of the New York Times best seller William Shakespeare’s Star Wars comes the next two installments of the original trilogy: William Shakespeare’s The Empire Striketh Back  (and not reviewed as yet,  William Shakespeare’s The Jedi Doth Return.) Return to the star-crossed galaxy far, far away as the brooding young hero, a power-mad emperor, and their jesting droids match wits, struggle for power, and soliloquize in elegant and impeccable iambic pentameter. Illustrated with beautiful black-and-white Elizabethan-style artwork, these two plays offer essential reading for all ages. Something Wookiee this way comes!  *** As he explains at the end, Ian Doescher

Book – Dracula


Book – Dracula
Author: Bram Stocker
Score: 8/10 
Year: 1997 (1897 first published) 
Publisher: W.W. Norton & company 
ISBN 0-393-97012-4
Pages 488 (novel pages 9-327, read bottom of review for details of all the bonus material*) 

Language: English 

Reading Dracula for me is a huge step outside of my comfort zones. My literary genres tend to be fantasy and science-fiction, and classical dramatic, and/or coming of age, feminist stories etc. I don't think I ever read a horror book, whilst the closest would be Du Maurier's Rebecca (which is Gothic, a genre shared by Dracula). 


Dracula is also outside of my psychological comfort zone, as I've never  been into vampires and tend to avoid novels where the possible levels of gory and bloody details would potentially trigger my hemophobia (= fear of blood), and in fact, I expected this to happen with this novel, as vampires, in all variations, suck their victims' blood.  

I noticed that on several occasions, during reading, I was dozzing off and had at first attributed it to fatigue, the heat and the fan's white noise. I came to understand that it was also, at least in part, my sensitivity to the topics, as a way of my psyche's attempts to protect myself from reading unpleasant and graphic aspects.  I this that's why it took me 3 weeks ago to finish. 

Quickly after starting, I found myself drawn to Stocker's rich style and love that this novel is written in a form of journals and correspondance written by and between the main characters. 

I also love how he gave each one of them a unique voice and interesting personality traits. 
Sometimes, this takes a form of grandiose dialogues with odd English syntax for foreign characters, whilst others have such a broken English, or thick accents that Bram composed with all the possible typos or abbreviations and slang that I had to decipher their supposed speaking patterns. (let me remind you that I am French, and that I self-taught English). 

Each character shares his or her thoughts, sometimes feelings, even worries and fears, in varying degrees of detail. 

I found that on a few occasions, Bram's own time-line had been faulty, as announced in footnotes - but, though this is a small flaw, it can be explained through the lack of computers in the late 19th century... Other times, his assumptions weren't very realistic - say, in travel speed. 

I was agreeably surprised that the actual depictions of the vampire's bloodsucking were either limited in details, or described through indirect imagery. However, there were other difficult moments for me, in the form of a lunatic, zoophagous character, studied by another (zoophagous= carnivorous), in a scientific capacity, and I find that he has a sort of voyeuristic nature, and quite creepy.  As an extremely sensitive vegan suffering from carnophobia, it was quite a challenge to read those parts, through which I tried to speed up and skim, though I didn't skip - not wanting to miss important details as to possible links I'd see between his story-line with the rest of the novel's plots. 

Off course, each of these elements - the zoophagous character, the vampire, the blood-sucking, are allegories and social comments, and we also note that just like other authors of his period, Bram include a bit of antisemitism that was quite present in his days, though he seems to have done far less often than Brontë did in Jane Eyre. 

These allegories include the most evident transposition for sex (the blood part), and also, the cult of personality through one character's idolization - indeed like revering a god, and I really liked how this part was developed and concluded. 

It's interesting to note that because society was in a transitional period, Bram's women characters in Dracula oscillate between servitude to the men characters, and signs of yearnings to break free of male dominance. 

For me, the heavy Christian slants of this book are just like the rest of what I think of religious precepts, dogmas and characters : it's all a vast myth. Thus, the weapons imaged to fight the vampire are direct results of Christian beliefs, that I don't follow. I read this is a fantasy aspect, added to the rest of it. 

Dracula, as I said, was a very different novel for me, stepping totally outside of my comfort zone. I enjoyed it's style, narrative form and interesting social commentary, though this folk-tale, mythological, allegorical  novel. 

* I've read very few footnotes and none of the extensive additional, non-fictional parts at the end of the book, which comprises contexts (329-360) reviews and reactions (361-367), dramatic and film variations (370-407) and , criticism (409-482) , Bram Stocker : a chronology (483-485) and selected bibliography (487-488)

Comments