Skip to main content

Featured

eBook – The Empire Striketh Back

eBook –  The Empire Striketh Back Full title :  William Shakespeare's The Empire Striketh Back By : Ian Doescher  Iillustrations :  Nicolas Delort Score : 9/10 Year : 2014 Publisher : Quirk Books  eISBN :  978-1-59474-716-8 Based on  978-1-59474-715-1 (hard cover) Pages : 176 *  Language : English From Goodreads : Hot on the heels of the New York Times best seller William Shakespeare’s Star Wars comes the next two installments of the original trilogy: William Shakespeare’s The Empire Striketh Back  (and not reviewed as yet,  William Shakespeare’s The Jedi Doth Return.) Return to the star-crossed galaxy far, far away as the brooding young hero, a power-mad emperor, and their jesting droids match wits, struggle for power, and soliloquize in elegant and impeccable iambic pentameter. Illustrated with beautiful black-and-white Elizabethan-style artwork, these two plays offer essential reading for all ages. Something Wookiee this way comes!  *** As he explains at the end, Ian Doescher

Book Genre Tag : Fantasy



Nicole, whom I mentioned before, is a booktuber I met in twitter mental health chats. Check her booktube channel on youtube, here, Every once now and again, I see a tag she does, or shares, that sparks me interest into following. 

Last one I did was The Harry Potter Tag, and today, I'm doing the Book Genre Tag, where all questions pertain to one genre, of my choosing. The Original idea is on a channel called: Violet and the never ending TBR. 





The Questions : 

~ choose a genre and answer the questions ~

1. One of your favorite stand alone books
2. One of your favorite series
3. What is a trope that you like in this genre
4. What is a trope you don’t like in this genre
5. A disappointing book in the genre
6. A book that’s on your TBR that you want to get to soon
7. An intimidating book or series
8. What is another book genre you want to read more of
9. What book genre intimidates you the most

10. Tag people!

For this tag, I'll choose Fantasy, my most read genre of the moment. 


1. One of your favorite stand alone books
A favorite stand alone is McKillip's Forgotten Beasts of Eld, already reviewed on this very blog.  

 
2. One of your favorite series
 One of my fav series is Tolkien's famous Lord of The Rings, in its epic proportions.

3. What is a trope that you like in this genre
When races and species are told with either with well established differences and not as mere copies of another, especially with an anti-racism comment, I think the trope serves the genre the best, as taking a positive social stand against bigotry. 

4. What is a trope you don’t like in this genre
The trope of a dark lord in fantasy can be well done, like Sauron and the previous evils that lead to him, but a lot of dark lords are too corny, or not menacing enough, when told in stories. 

5. A disappointing book in the genre
Harry Potter and the Cursed child disappointed me, from several reasons. I gave it a neutral score, due to a mixed appreciation. 

6. A book that’s on your TBR that you want to get to soon
The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August, by Claire North (pseudonym of Catherine Webb) is a mix of fantasy and scifi. I added it to my TBR rather recently,  highly recommended it by my dear friend Cerian. 

7. An intimidating book or series
Due to its darker and more graphic content, even in written storytelling, Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire is a series that I find daunting, and I haven't started it yet. I hope that with progress in CBT shall bring me closer to reading it, eventually. Also, hopefully, the series will be completed by then - as Martin hasn't released the last 2 volumes. 

8. What is another book genre you want to read more of
I'd like to read more scifi books, although close to fantasy at times and that I have read some, most were short stories. I find that I struggle to make the leap into a world of scifi when it lacks the visual aspects I'm used to seeing, as I watch a lot of shows and some movies in this genre, but don't read as equally many. 

9. What book genre intimidates you the most
I think poetry intimidates me the most, because I understand only a small percentage of the texts, if they are clear enough, or use allegories that I learnt about. The majority, however, goes straight over my head, especially for more abstract content. 

10. I'll tag you, my readers - and I'll name some on social media. 

I think I'll actually do this tag again, with another genre, so, stay tuned for it... 

Comments